Is There a Difference?
Customers who bring their Phones for a screen repair are offered cheapest choices of screen replacement- an “Original or Genuine” or a “copy”or replacement screen. The most common response is “Is there a difference- and which one would you recommend?”
Originals are those screens officially manufactured for Apple by Sharp or LG.
So-called “copy or replacement” screens are compatible but unofficial replacements or Chinese copies , designed and manufactured entirely independently by third-party companies, typically in China.
Common Quality for Phone LCD Screen Assemblies
We scanned my inbox, Alibaba, eBay and Amazon for various sellers of iPhone LCD screens to get the most common terminology used in sellers’ offerings.
Original screen Manufactures are:
LG & Sharp
Replacement screen Manufactures are :
TianMa, JingDong Fang, LongTeng, AUO, ShenChao
I’ll list some of the most common qualities offered by ranking started with quality level .
- Original (Apple Official and top quality) Lcd made by LG or Sharp.
- OEM( Non official top quality) Lcd made by LG or Sharp.
Chinese Copy / Replacement Lcds
- Premium Replacement(best Non-OEM quality after 1 & 2) Lcd made by LG.
- High Copy (better than replacement grade or Grade A) TianMa, JingDong Fang, LongTeng, AUO, ShenChao) , these screens have yellowish display colours .
- Replacement or Grade A (low grade Chinese quality, cheapest price made by following brands TianMa, JingDong Fang, LongTeng, AUO, ShenChao) these screens have blueish display colours .
- Refurbished Screens (Original lcd used from broken screen & Replacement touch is installed)
Orignal/ OEM Replacement or Chinese Copy
Our answer is simple- the original screen is the one we’d go for ourselves, every time. Some people think we make more money on them, but this isn’t the case. We recommend originals because they’re far higher quality & reliable and the price difference is not much.
We’d rather only fit original screens. The only reason we don’t is that many people will shop around and choose purely on price. As such, we need to offer the cheaper copy/replacement screens to remain competitive and avoid losing these customers. In some cases, they didn’t even know there was a difference in the first place- especially since it’s not in some shops’ interest to draw people’s attention to the issue!
The Essential Points
- “Original” screens are those made officially for Apple. “Copy or replacement” screens are unofficial replacements designed and manufactured by third-party companies not associated with Apple.
- We always advise our customers to go for the original screen. The difference in price is generally small, but the quality is far better.
- Many other repair centres don’t offer the choice, but aren’t clear about the fact they’re using Copy or replacement screens. Some will simply lie about this.
- Copy or replacement screens are often lower quality in several ways:-
- LCD display panel can have poorer resolution(i.e. looks “coarser”), worse brightness, contrast and vibrancy and reduced refresh rate amongst other problems.
- Digitizer (touch) performance is often substandard and probably the largest source of issues with copy screens.
- Changes in specification from original can result in battery and performance issues. Certain badly-engineered screens could even damage the backlight circuitry.
- Fingerprint reader– a part of the screen assembly- doesn’t always work correctly.
- Copy or replacement screens generally break more easily and are less resilient to everyday use.
- Copy or replacement screens sometime end up having failure iOS updates .
- Screen brightness will be lower as compare to Genuine lcds.
- replacement screen can make phone to overheat which could lead to additional problems happening with phone.
- All together conclusion is copy screens damage your device & reduce the life of machine components , you might save a little money in front but in longer run you will end up paying much more comparatively .